Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Strike a Goal


It is truly difficult to resume writing a blog after such a long hiatus - words don't come as easy but neither do the excuses not to write. So, let's get the show on the road before we lose sight of the road altogether.

Since my last blog entry there has been many new experiences but those that stand out the most were born from goals that have either challenged my thinking or my stamina. Indeed there is nothing more exhilarating than completing a goal. I won't say that my goals are as far reaching as Mr. Pierre Trudeau's resolve to strengthen Canadian federalism or as captivating as Mr. Steve Yzerman's goal to bring Canada’s ice hockey team the gold medal in the 2010 winter olympics in Vancouver. But they have been memorable nonetheless. My goals have added to my sense of purpose and future direction - as with those of Mr. Trudeau and Mr. Yzerman, I am sure.

Some highlights emerging from my goals in the first half of 2009 have been: Guiding an organization to strategically manoeuvre through a business transformation; hiking 3,600 ft in less than 6 km through the old forests of British Columbia's Wedgemount Lake in the Garibaldi Provincial Park; studying a country's development to assess its vulnerabilities in merit based recruitment; cycling the Ironman 60 km bike loop at Lake Placid, USA; completing another post graduate course in public administration and coming up: running a 5 km race at the 2009 Canada Army Run on September 20th in Ottawa and providing assistance to one of Liberia's central agency in its development efforts this fall.

Indeed, much has been written about goals: scoping the goals; identifying what is needed to meet them; making plans to accomplish them; managing the changes they bring; and measuring the impact they have. I have a library filled with books on project management, change management, strategic planning, performance management, and the like. At its simplest denominator, they all begin with setting a goal. To no surprise, I have therefore decided to set myself a goal for this blog.

Effective September 16th my goal is to write a blog every Wednesday up to December 30, 2009 on a variety of subjects of interest to public servants at home and abroad. If you have any preference please send me an email at dsbegin@hrsbconcepts.com. I look forward to hearing from you.




Photo: Lake Rawson, Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada. A 6 km hike return.

No comments: